Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God was, is, and always will be SOVEREIGN

It's 8:11 pm California time on Election Day (not the theological kind) 2008. Barack Obama is being declared the President Elect of the United States of America. I am not shy about the fact that I did not vote for him because I believe him to be the lesser of many candidates for the job (not just in comparison to John McCain). That being said, he is the President Elect and the same Bible that clearly guided me to use my precious vote to elect a Godly man now clearly guides me to live in obedience to the laws and governing authorities so long as they do not contravene Scripture (Romans 13), and to live peaceably with all men, as much as is possible and within my power (Romans 12:18), even if I don't like their worldview, their record, their ideas, or their lack of Scriptural morals. The Scriptures also tell me to pray for those in authority over me, ie. the President, Congress and Federal Judges, the Governor, State Senate and State Assembly, the Mayor and Councilmembers, etc.

Most importantly is the Scriptural fact that God is sovereign and still in control of everything. I may not prefer the man taking office next year, or the policies that he has promised to enact, but that does not change me, my relationship with my Creator, or my duty to serve Him in love each and every day. I encourage you to read the previous article for further information, but let me summarize with this: God is in control. Yes, we are responsible to vote according to Scripture, but God is still sovereign over those who don't recognize His sovereignty. No matter what nation or community we live in or who is governing over us; no matter how wonderful or terrible they might be or we might perceive them to be; God's will for me and for you is much bigger than one Tuesday every four years. It was important to educate yourself and others about the candidates and issues and to prayferfully and Scripturally vote. Now that you've done so, continue on with the many other important tasks God has called you to. Continue to live a life completely sold out to Him, talking to Him, listening to His Word, worshiping Him with your voice, your time, your resources, and your very life. "Let your light so shine before men that they will see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven" (Matthew 5:16). Don't be distracted by things that don't go the way you wish they would have, but instead, continue to trust Him. He hasn't changed, nor has His plan or His will for you. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all of your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths" (Proverbs 3:5-6).

1 comment:

Sister Afrika said...

AMEN!! My thoughts exactly this morning! Last night I was grieved for a short time, but then God reminded me of His Precious Word and Who He is. He is not asleep on His Throne, and His eternal purposes haven't changed a bit. As followers of JESUS Christ, we must continue to fight the good fight of faith. Just as you said, Jon, not just one Tuesday every 4 years. I knew you would give us words of encouragement and hope this morning. God bless you as you continue to serve our Lord by serving others. Much love & prayers to all the Langley Clan! Theria