Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day Two in Nimule (Journal Entry)

9:30am - I slept really good last night. The mattress here is quite comfortable. I still have bad jet lag and feel sick in the head from it, but it’s getting better after last night’s sleep. This morning I had some really good coffee. Vicky said it’s Ugandan. It was good and it was made strong. Since it tasted similar to good coffee I might enjoy in the States, it was a good psychological/emotional pick-me-up. After breakfast we had staff devotions which included the four ladies that were visiting from Michigan, myself, Vicky, and some of the staff - Elijah, Martin, and James.

10:18 - Yesterday I worked on a bunch of MP3 players (probably 40 or so). I had compressed the 2000 Series of Chuck Smith sermons through the Bible when I was in the States, and Ben had installed them onto these little MP3 players. But there was room left over and they wanted to add the teachings from the “Refresher Course” that the Maranatha Chapel and Calvary Chapel Gulf Breeze teams had just completed. The Chaplains were so excited when they received these MP3 players with the Cuck Smith teachings. When Martin (one of the staff leaders) took them back from them so they could have the new files added they got upset and kept saying that Martin was trying to steal them. It was funny. So Vicky and Martin were happy when I finished them yesterday. The power is only on from 7pm to 10pm (generator) and there’s a solar system that can run a laptop or two, but it’s been cloudy and raining a lot so there hasn't been much power for computer use during the day. In fact, Vicky says today is the coldest day this year, and that a day this cold is very rare here. It’s raining and a bit breezy and probably around the high 60s. Last night was actually quite comfortable. My neck always gets a bit warm for some reason, but it's not as bad here as Kigoma. I know I already said this, but I slept so much better last night. And now with the steady rain and cool weather I keep wanting to go lay down and nap! I spoke with Vicky and James Olal (the lead staff member and the pastor of Calvary Chapel Nimule) this morning and have agreed to spend four hours per day with the senior staff doing discipleship. From 10:30 to 12:30 and then another two hours after lunch. I will do this for a few days and talk about topics having to do with leadership. My first thought, of course, is the “servant-leader”. Then I think I'll share about being an example and above reproach. And I'll also encourage them about the importance of daily devotions as well. These are three major areas that leaders go astray in (I'm speaking from experience here). The format will be one where I suggest the topic and allow questions etc. This way we can interact and truly disciple and not just “teach”.

No comments: